Anyone can suffer from facial sagging – especially because everyone is aging. Everyone runs the risk of developing this physiologic but annoying sign of aging. However, not everyone will develop this simply because there are people who know how to take care of their skin.
Facial sagging only happens because aging makes us lose the capacity to produce more collagen. When this happens, the skin’s elasticity also dwindles down, which may result in wrinkles, fine lines, double chin, and drooping jowls.
Apart from aging, skin sagging is influenced by lifestyle factors like smoking and sun exposure as well. Additionally, genetics may predispose individuals to premature appearance of the signs of aging. But regardless of why this happens, it is important to take note that you can prevent and minimize (if not treat) this problem.
What Helps Sagging Face Skin?
We mentioned earlier that you can prevent or minimize sagging face skin. But what can really deal with this problem?
1. Protect yourself from sun exposure. This does not only minimize or prevent sagging skin but will also protect your overall health.
2. Quit smoking and excessive alcohol consumption. This will only hasten the process of aging by subjecting yourself to toxins, which will damage your skin.
3. Eat right. By obtaining balance in your diet, you give not only your skin the nutrient it needs but your entire body as well. These vitamins and minerals provide the necessary building blocks that will let the body produce more collagen.
4. Commit to a skincare regimen. Choose products that have ingredients like peptides or retinol. These active components may prevent or reverse facial sagging according to studies.
5. Exercising regularly (daily). There are facial exercises that can strengthen the muscles in the face and neck area. These can help the muscles remain toned and taut even when aging sets in.
Apart from the natural ways to combat facial sagging, there are also medical procedures that are non-invasive that may help as well. This includes dermal fillers, laser resurfacing, radiofrequency (RF) therapies, thread lifts, and even microneedling.
Can You Prevent Sagging Skin?
Yes, you can prevent sagging skin.
Brief overview of some of the preventive measures have already been tackled earlier. Here we will touch on some lifestyle changes you can apply so you can definitely prevent it from happening.
- Be well-rested at night. This is key to keeping the skin healthy, which means seven to eight hours of sleep is necessary. If you haven’t already noticed, your skin will feel dry and dull if you lack sleep.
- Hydrate. Water has always been underestimated by many. But in reality, water is the best medicine of them all. It can keep your skin supple and plumped up. And as it does this, it flushes out toxins from the body.
- Avoid refined sugar in foods. Eating too much refined sugar can hasten aging in most cases.
If you have not proven it yet, it is not cliche to say – prevention is always better than cure. By following and committing to a strict regimen of healthy lifestyle, balanced diet, and other lifestyle changes, you can prevent facial sagging.
When considering facial procedures, it is important to choose the right one for your individual needs and goals. The available treatments can be non-surgical options such as the following:
- Injectables – like Botox or Dysport injections
- Chemical peels – used to fill up or add volume to hollow areas
- Laser resurfacing
These treatments may be combined to achieve better results depending on the severity of skin sagging.
Many people often choose non-surgical treatments because they have shorter (if there is any) recovery time.
In addition, chemical peeling is a procedure that applies a solution on the surface of the skin to exfoliate dead cells. As a result, it can stimulate collagen production, which produces smoother complexion. However, its role in sagging skin is controversial.
On the other hand, laser resurfacing is a popular option using either ablative lasers or fractional CO2 lasers. Both of which have shown promising results in various studies.
Nonetheless, no matter what type of treatment you choose, it’s important that you consult with an experienced aesthetic professional. They can assess your individual concerns before recommending any procedure so that you receive optimal results tailored specifically for your needs. This ensures your safety as well.
What’s the Outlook if You Have Saggy Skin?
Often the outlook if you have saggy skin may not be that attractive at all. Saggy skin can influence how you perceive yourself and may be a source of mental stress. It will make you feel conscious.
However, it is good to know that there are treatment options that you can rely on. You just have to consult expert aesthetic providers. They can give you advice based on their experience, which will ensure optimal results.
The Bottom Line
In conclusion, facial sagging is a common issue that many people experience as they age. With the right preventative measures and treatments, however, it’s possible to keep your skin looking youthful for longer. Understanding what causes facial sagging in the first place can help you deal with facial sagging.
If you are a medical professional who wants to help individuals maintain a positive outlook amidst facial sagging, you need to get trained and certified. ReplenishMD Training can help you achieve just that. For more information, visit our website today or consult our experts.